101 Dates Dr
Ithaca, NY 14850
What is Motivational Interviewing?
Motivational Interviewing is a client-centered counseling model of communication and counseling that is used for evoking and enhancing people’s intrinsic motivation to change unhealthful behaviors that are inconsistent with their values and goals. In this workshop, participants will learn the techniques of Motivational Interviewing and how to apply them in their work.
What are the learning objectives?
- State the difference and relationship between Motivational Interviewing and Client-centered Counseling
- List the four components of MI Spirit
- Demonstrate the use of the Core Skills of MI, OARS
- List a minimum of four counseling styles that evoke resistance
- Demonstrate how to provide educational information in an MI Congruent manner
- Define Sustain Talk and Change Talk
- State the role of Directive vs Directional stance when practicing MI